Geevor – Death of an industry

Geevor tin mine had been in operation for just over 200 years mining tin and copper. It was originally a small mine with the name Wheal an Giver The area was worked under the name of East Levant Mine until 1840 and then as North Levant from 1851 to 1891 when it closed to be reopened at the turn of the 20th century when a group of miners moving back home from Africa due to the Boer War decided there was enough worth in the mine to get it back into operation. When the price of tin collapsed during the 1900’s one of the main Cornish industries died a death.

Geevor is now a world heritage site and has been left as was on the day the miners last walked out and the pumps stopped.

Geevor-10

Geevor

Geevor-9

Geevor-8

Geevor-7

Geevor-6

Geevor-5

Geevor-3

Geevor-2

Geevor-4

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *